Freelance Ruby & Web developer
I’m a Ruby & Web developer and I love building highly usable web apps. Leveraging Ruby on Rails I can build completely tailor-made solutions for your every needs.
You can also hire me to deploy, setup and make the best use of your existing web sites and apps (Wordpress blog, self-hosted Nextcloud, wiki, CRM, etc).
Need an app for that?
I design and build extensible apps to meet specific requirements
- Monitor production data
- Data managment
- Get alerts when conditions are met
- Export to PDF
- Sync with digital calendars
- Optimise resources
From design to code
Hand me graphic designs, I'll build state-of-the art HTML/CSS
- Responsive Web Design
- Accessible HTML
- Optimised load time
- Optimised Facebook/Twitter sharing
Self-hosted online tools
Let me deploy, upgrade, setup and customise websites and online tools.
- Webshop, blog, landing page
- NextCloud collaboration suite
- Bulk mail service
Improve your communication
Through information architecture and copy-writing, let me turn your existing material into webpages and emails.
- Blog posts and newsletters
- Mobile and tablet tweaks
- Information hierarchy improvements
- Newsletter and social networks
Internet and computers allow building and sharing knowledge, tools and art, as well as build communities and connections.
But they can also be abused to discriminate and hurt people, harvesting personal information, enabling bullying, exclusion and mass surveillance.
- Women's rights and fight against sexism
- Accessibility and digital inclusion
- Animal welfare and vegetarian lifestyle
- Fight against online bullying
- Low-tech, degrowth, energy savings
- Social welfare, community-building, online collaboration
- Use inclusive language in UI copy
- Check accessibility of deliverables
- Store minimum personal data and anonymise if possible
- Anticipate possible misuse
- Prefer energy-efficient solutions
- Contribute back to Open Source tools I use
Thanks to its expressive syntax and extensive Open-Source community, it's the gold standard for fast and secure backend development.
Improved by more than 5.000 contributors and enriched by a rich ecosystem of open-source components, it powers more than a million websites and applications, including AirBnB, Github, Shopify, Kickstarter, Hulu, and Basecamp of course.
It provides a solid foundation for layout, a complete array of static and dynamic User Interface components, easily combined and customized, and is best-in-class when it comes to responsiveness and accessibility.
Millions of websites and apps have embraced it since its Open-Source debuts in 2001, placing it firmly on top of web frameworks. Every release improves upon the previous and adds new features, thanks to a large and dedicated community
Except for a few legacy projects, all code now lives in Git repositories, which make it easy to collaborate remotely, work on features in parrallel, and track changes over time.
Always a curious mind, I read blogs and books and attend conferences to improve and expand my skillset.
I always take into account the following aspects:
Usability means a lot to me, and I always make sure that User Interfaces are easy and intuitive to work with, from small details like click target size, grouping items logically, to layout and error messages.
Speed is a major factor in the competitive space of the Web. Web apps and websites all need to load optimized images, compressed HTML and assets, and finely-tuned SQL queries, among others.
Responsive Web Design
Mobile is here to stay, so I always ensure that layout and controls adapt to screens small and large.
The tools I use are heavily tested and regularly updated to close vulnerabilities, and I make sure that both code and comments are readable and up-to-date.
I've built and maintained apps and websites for companies, agencies and as a freelance since 2006, always striving for the highest level of usability, responsiveness, performance, and SEO-friendliness.
School coordination software
- Needs assessment
- Mobile and desktop interface design
- Ridesharing module to save time and money
- Meal planning module with diet information
- Coding, deployment, and improvements based on user feedback
Integrated software package for a gym network
- Quote management, with one-click invoicing
- Product groups for ecommerce module
- Online schedule reservation
- Credit card expiry management
- Maintenance and refactoring
Intranet modules for a multinational company
- Needs analysis and interface design
- Development of 2 separate but complimentary modules
- Internationalization back-office (20 languages)
- Single-Sign-On for ease of use
- Deployment on the company servers abroad
Made-to-order medical equipment sales platform
- Market research for health data hosting
- Three-tiered access control
- Online payment module
- Optimized health data input user interface
- Notification for next steps/inactive accounts
Insurance quote generator
- User-tracking deployment on extranet and public website
- User needs identification through data analysis
- Improved relevance of extranet search results
- Corporate website design integration
- Ecommerce module design integration
- Maintenance and refactoring
- User need detection
- Technical constraints analysis
- Market research and technical comparison
- Software dependencies selection
- Architecture, interface design, development and deployment
I like learning and sharing, in articles and by giving dozens of talks and workshops.
I was invited to talk about accessibility, mobile adaptation, web performance, project management, and mental health.
After moving out of Lyon, I joined Solstice, a 100-strong cooperative, which lets me focus on what I really enjoy: building webapps and websites.